Artist Residency Roundtable
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010
Location: Chelsea, Manahattan
The Artist Residency Roundtable is organized by Audra Wolowiec and Yuka Otani as a part of Studio Fuse’s ongoing mission to foster dialog and to share resources among artists. Guest artists will discuss their personal and professional experiences at various residency programs in New York City and across the country from LMCC, Socrates Sculpture Park, Skowhegan, Provincetown Fine Arts Work Center, MacDowell, Yaddo and Djaressi, to name a few. Artists will present their work and an open, roundtable discussion will follow. A comprehensive list of available resources online and in print, for national and international artist residencies, will accompany the discussion.
Laura Braciale – www.laurabraciale.com
Rachel Frank – www.rachelfrank.com
James Huang – www.james-huang.com
Stephanie Lempert – www.stephanielempert.com
Christopher Robbins – http://www.christopher-robbins.com
Yuka Otani – www.yukaotani.com
Residencies /Artist Opportunities:
* Alliance of Artists Communities – www.artistcommunities.org
* NYFA Source – www.nyfa.org
* Res Artis – www.resartis.org
* Trans Artists – www.transartists.nl
* Re-Title.com – www.re-title.typepad.com/opportunities
* Residency Unlimited – www.residencyunlimited.org/category/opportunites/
* Art Deadline List – www.artdeadlineslist.com
* Nuture Art Calendar – www.nurtureart.org/nurtureart/index.php?ptr=page&pgid=229
* The Arts Council of Lapland (AiR programs in northern areas of Finland, Norway, and Sweden)
* AIR_J (AiR programs in Japan) – http://en.air-j.info/search
* Alternative Spaces / Opportunities by Region: “Phonebook” by Green Lantern Press (purchase online for $15)
Other great resources to look at:
* College Art Association (online search + ‘standard guidelines’ resource for cv, etc) – www.collegeart.org
* NYFA Learning (tips for grant writing and project proposals etc.) – www.nyfa.org/level2.asp?id=76&fid=1&sid=781
* Foundation Center (grants for individuals) – www.foundationcenter.org/getstarted/individuals
QUESTIONS / THOUGTS FOR DISCUSSIONS
-How did you hear about this program?
-Did you propose what you were going to do? How specific was your proposal?
-Did you know anyone? Did you have a prior personal connection with a resident / instructor / board member?
-If you submitted a proposal, was it site-specific to the program?
-What kind of resources do you use to search for residency programs?
-How often do you send applications? How many residency applications have you done so far?
-Did you get into the program in one shot, or did you apply more than once?
Pros and cons:
-What were individual residency programs like? Was it productive?
-Were you content with the accommodation / work space / facilities provided?
-What kind of supports (separate live/work spaces, stipend etc.) did you have from the program?
-Were you required to pay or work?
-How long was the residency? Was it a desirable length for completing your project?
-Did you have a lot of interaction with fellow residents?
-Did the residency culminate in an exhibition?
-Was it difficult to transport your work home from the residency?
-Did you gain opportunities because of this residency? Was the residency professionally helpful?
-Did you start off with a lesser-known program to get into more well-known program?
* * *